15 March 2012

Good writing, bad writing

Last night, as I was perusing the news, I read two sentences from two different articles published in two different newspapers.

In the New York Times article "The Fight Club Generation", we read this:

It’s like a boxing match crossbred with WrestleMania, presented in the middle of an Insane Clown Posse concert.

Meanwhile, in the Fosters Daily Democrat, the first sentence in the article "UNH lecturer elected to Durham Town Council" is this:

An English lecturer from the University of New Hampshire is now on the Town Council, along with keeping the university's architect to serve as a public library trustee.

I thought that one of these articles was well-written, and the other made my head hurt.  I'll leave it up to you to guess which article I liked and which one I did not.

No comments: