06 March 2008

Development Tip: Multiple Build Areas

Here is a code development tip that I nearly always employ in any workplace. I have employed this strategy for years, and several of my colleagues have told me "wow! that's a really good idea!" so I thought that share this.

I always setup multiple build areas to go along with the source control system that I am using. At the very least, I always have a "-work" directory (where I work on my current task), but (and here is the important bit) I always have a second "-clean" build area. I never modify any files in the "-clean" area! Ever. The only thing that I ever do wih the -clean area is (0) update this build area from source control, (1) run a build in this area and (2) run a regression test on this build area. Again, I never modify any files in this directory.

Having a "-clean" directory is terribly useful. For example, if I am making a big change that modifies ten files and my changes also depend on the addition of two files to the build tree, when I am done with my work, I will checkin my changes (under my "-work" area), and then I will immediately update my "-clean" area to run a build and a regression test. If I somehow forgot to add those two source files to the source tree, the build will fail -- but I will immediately notice this. It is much better for me to notice this immediately rather than my co-workers.

If you are a professional software engineer, the problem that I have just cited here has probably plagued you, what? -- several dozen or hundred times in your career? Yes? How much of your time has been wasted due to this problem? If only everybody employed this technique.

Like I mentioned, I always setup multiple build areas. In fact, I usually have at least a half dozen build areas going at the same time. I usually have a "-clean" area going for every source code branch that I work with, and I usually have a build area going for every task that I work on as well. This latter use of build areas seems to be particularly useful, because I have had colleagues who were dead-set on creating a new source control branch in the codebase to do their work tell me, after I have explained my multiple-build-areas methodology to them, that this trick saved them a lot of grief. Let's not forget, every time your organization creates a new branch, this costs your organization time and money. Sometimes you need a new branch, but many times you do not. This trick costs a modest amount of disk space, and disk space is cheap. Branches are never cheap.

I have used this trick wih dynamic views under ClearCase, static views under ClearCase, and directories under Subversion too. This trick can be used anywhere.


Update:  yeah, yeah, yeah, I realize that folks who use DVCS systems will probably look at this post quizzically.  Let me issue the following reminder:  not all shops use DVCS.